Saturday, July 8, 2017

Daily Devotion: Fiery Trials

Bible Reading: Daniel 3

Key Verse: Verse 17 – “If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.

Key Words: from the burning fiery furnace

We love to tell the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego to our children. I would venture to say it’s one of the more frequently used Bible stories in our Sunday Schools and Children’s Churches.

But the story of these three Hebrew young men is not “childish.” How many adults would be mature enough to say, “And he [God] will deliver us,” or how many adults would have the courage to stand up to the king (verse 18)? How many of us would have enough conviction to not bow to the golden image?

Trials do not make us what we are, they simply reveal it.

Louis Albert Banks tells of an elderly Christian man, a fine singer, who learned that he had cancer of the tongue and that surgery was required. In the hospital after everything was ready for the operation, the man said to the doctor, "Are you sure I will never sing again?" The surgeon found it difficult to answer his question. He simply shook his head no.

The patient then asked if he could sit up for a moment. "I've had many good times singing the praises of God," he said. "And now you tell me I can never sing again. I have one song that will be my last. It will be of gratitude and praise to God."

There in the doctor's presence the man sang softly the words of Isaac Watts' hymn, "I'll praise my Maker while I've breath,/ And when my voice is lost in death,/ Praise shall employ my nobler power;/ My days of praise shall ne'er be past,/ While life, and thought, and being last,/ Or immortality endures."


What to do:
✞ Endure the trials, because it is through trials we genuinely get to know God.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email