Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Daily Devotion: Independent from God

Bible Reading: Jeremiah 17:1-11

Key Verse: Verses 5 – “Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD."

Key Words: Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man

I don’t like it when my wife asks me to go to Home Depot. I’m not a Home Depot kind of guy. Now, there are two reasons I don’t like Home Depot. Number one, it’s big and the aisles are packed with stuff. I also don’t like fighting to get through those lines, if I happen to go during the wrong part of the day. The main reason I don’t like Home Depot is because when my wife asks me to go there to purchase something, it usually means I have to fix something around the house myself.

See, Home Depot is set up for folk who want to take care of things themselves. So instead of calling a plumber, you go get the plumbing. Instead of calling an electrician, you go get the plugs and the socket so you can screw it in yourself. I don’t like Home Depot because that means there is work for me to do. Home Depot has made a business of teaching people how to fix it themselves.

We’ve got a lot of Home Depot kind of saints today. They are used to being their own boss, captain of their own faith, and master of their own ship. They are so used to doing it themselves that, even though they will breathe a prayer every now and then, they remain fairly self-sufficient people.

These self-sufficient people are Burger King kind of people. They want to have it their way. They are sufficient within themselves and so they live their own lives.

This is what Satan wants. He wants us to operate independently of God.


What to do:
✞ Remember, he who puts all of his confidence in himself is a fool.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email