Monday, July 31, 2017

Daily Devotion: Sun of Righteousness

Bible Reading: Malachi 4

Key Verse: Verse 2 - “But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall."

Key Words: Sun of righteousness

The sun has several purposes. One, it produces heat. It also produces light. It’s the light I would like for us to “see.” There is little doubt that Malachi 4:2 is a reference to Jesus Christ and He is the Sun (light) of righteousness.

Have you ever been out working in the sun and go inside into a dark or dimly lit room? It’s almost impossible to see because your eyes have adjusted to the sunlight and now you are in darkness. There is a spiritual picture here. When we live in the light of the Sun of righteousness and then backslide into the darkness of sin, we have a difficulty seeing the dangers around us as well.

I remember just a few weeks back mowing the lawn in this hot southern heat and humidity. It’s wise to take a water break every now and then so when I walked into the garage I was blinded by the darkness. My eyes had not adjusted to the change from bright to dim. I wanted some water but didn’t want to wait for my eyes to adjust so I began my journey up the stairs. The problem is I can’t see, I really don’t know where one step ends and the other begins. I am now in some danger of falling because I’m no longer in the light. I think I’m okay. I think everything will be alright; but in reality I’m in danger. So it is with a believer who backslides from God and they go from the Sun of righteousness to the darkness of sin where all is not well because no matter what they think, they really can’t see all the dangers around them.

What to do:
✞ Live in the Sun of righteousness and you will never have to be concerned about the darkness of sin.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email