Monday, September 6, 2021

Daily Devotion: What We Treasure

Bible Reading: Matthew 6:19-21 (I Timothy 6:8-11)

Key Verse: Verse 21 – “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

Key Words: there will your heart be also

Law enforcement has a saying in regard to crime, “Follow the money.” Jesus tells us that what we treasure reveals our heart. The word treasure means a vault or a casket, a safe place to store what you value. The essence of what Jesus is saying is a simple principle, “I can hear what you say; but I know your heart by what you do, by what you follow after.” Actions speak louder than words.

For example, people say “I love my job” but then fail to do a good and thorough job. That’s nothing but words, not reality. I love my spouse but then they are unfaithful to them. This too is nothing but words, not reality. I love my church but then miss more services than attend, nothing but words, not reality. Your mouth tells one thing but your heart reveals another.

The decision comes down to what we treasure. I was always taught to ask this one question in regard to life’s choices, “What would God do?”

I love sports. I can’t remember a time in the first 25 to 30 years of my life that I wasn’t playing some sort of athletic event. It was in mid-summer of 1960. We were playing baseball and were in our regional finals. If we won we would play for the State Championship. During those days athletic events were always scheduled around church services. Church, as it should be, was the top priority; but not on this occasion. Our final game was to be played on a Wednesday night. I was so excited! I told my mom, “Make sure my uniform is ready for the game tonight.” She quietly reminded me that “tonight is prayer meeting.” “But mom,” is all I remember saying. That afternoon I went to my bedroom and found my uniform, all clean and folded neatly, lying on my bed with my baseball hat and glove beside it. Lying beside my uniform, hat and glove was my Bible with a note, “What would God do?”

That night I went to church, under my church clothes though, was my uniform. When church was over, I walked outside to discover that a “small” rain shower had come through and the game had been “delayed.” So I went to church and also played in the game. I have always believed that the rain shower was God’s reward for doing “what God would do.”

What to do:
✞ What God would do.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email