Saturday, September 18, 2021

Daily Devotion: Seventy Times Seven

Bible Reading: Matthew 18:21-35

Key Verse: Verse 21 – “Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?”

Key Words: how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him

It truly takes a close relationship with God to forgive those who have wronged you. To wrong you once may be a little easier than the seventh time they wrong you, but when they have wronged you for the 490th time? Wow, that would be hard.

On November 14, 1940, the German Luftwaffe (Air Force) bombed the city of Coventry, England. It became the largest air raid over Britain during World War II. When the bombing ended, residents surveyed the results and saw their beautiful cathedral had been razed.

But at least some of the residents did not allow the tragic, pointless destruction of their place of worship to serve as an excuse for revenge. The next day members of the congregation took two irregular charred beams from the roof, tied them together, and set them up at the east end of the river where the action had been. The beams formed a cross. The members of the church printed two words on a sign and placed it at the foot of the cross, “Father, forgive.”


“Yes, you did too.”
“No, I did not.”
Thus the little quarrel started,
Thus by unkind words
Two fond friends were parted.
“I am sorry.”
“So am I.”
Thus the little quarrel ended.
Thus by loving little words
Two fond friends’ hearts were mended.
~Leslie Flynn


What to do:
✞ Only he who never needs forgiveness should never forgive. And even with that, Jesus did forgive. “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.”

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email