Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Daily Devotion: The Position of Prayer

Bible Reading: Luke 18:9-14

Key Verse: Verse 11- "The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican."

Key Words: The Pharisee stood and prayed

Have you ever noticed all the bodily positions from which men pray?

  •  Daniel prayed kneeling (Daniel 6:10).
  •  Hezekiah’s bodily position in prayer is unknown.
  •  Joshua prayed lying upon his face (Joshua 7:6).

In our text, the Pharisee and the publican are both standing as they pray. I am convinced it’s not our bodily position that is important in prayer, as much as it is the attitude of our heart when we pray.

In the Lord’s prayer Jesus never says, “When ye pray, kneel...or stand...or lay.” He simply says, “After this manner, pray....”

But over the years I have had people declare to me that the proper position of the body was one way or another. I came across this article some time ago in regard to prayer.

“’The proper way for men to pray,’ said Deacon Lemuel Keys, ‘and the only proper attitude is down upon his knees.’ ‘No, I should say the way to pray,’ said Reverend Dr. Wise, ‘is standing upright with outstretched arms and rapt and upturned eyes.’ ‘Oh, no, no, no,’ said Elmer Slow, ‘such posture is too proud. A man should pray with eyes fast closed and head contritely bowed.’ ‘It seems to me his hand should be austerely clasped in front, with both thumbs pointing toward the ground,’ said Reverend Dr. Blunt. ‘Last year I fell in Hitchkin’s well headfirst,’ said Cyrus Brown, ‘both my heels were sticking up and my head was pointing down. And I made a prayer right then and there, the best prayer I ever said. The prayingest prayer I ever prayed was a standing on my head.’”

It’s not the position of your body that matters as much as it is the condition of your heart.


What to do:
✞ Pray standing, pray kneeling, pray lying down, but pray.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email