Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Daily Devotion: Prayer and Faith

Bible Reading: Romans 14:19-23

Key Verse: Verse 23 - "And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Key Words: whatsoever is not of faith is sin

Robert Morgan in his book, Stories, Illustrations, and Quotes, writes:

"I once spent the night in a crumbling hotel in Porto Alegre, Brazil. A friend and I ascended to our room, high in the building, in a tiny, creaking elevator. From our window I saw slums spreading out far beneath me, and I felt uneasy. That evening I prayed, 'Lord, please save me from any danger of fire. You can see we're at the top of a dilapidated hotel, which is nothing but a fire trap. There isn't a fire station near, and I can't see any fire escapes outside the building. Lord, you know that this building would go up in flames in a second, and at this very moment it is probably full of people falling asleep with Marlboros in their mouths... .'

"By the time I finished praying, I was a nervous wreck, and I hardly slept a wink all night. The next morning as I evaluated my evening, I realized that my bedtime prayer had focused on my negative feelings rather than on God's assurances and promises, and I learned an important truth: Unless we plead in faith, our prayers can do more harm than good."

May our prayers be fervent and full of faith.


What to do:
✞ Pray faithfully, but also pray in faith.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email