Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Daily Devotion: Power of Prayer

John Wesley (Source: Wikipedia)
Bible Reading: James 5:13-20

Key Verse: Verse 16– "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

Key Words: effectual fervent prayer

Elijah fervently prayed. Fervent means a hot burning passion for prayer. Jeremiah prayed this type of prayer. He said, “Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of tears, that I could weep day and night.” Jeremiah, of course, was burdened over a backslidden Jerusalem (see Jeremiah 9:1).

George Whitefield could pray, “God give me souls or take my own.” He could preach in Philadelphia till his voice was gone, and when the invitation was extended he could do no more than raise his arms and motion with his hands for the people to respond. One man said of George Whitefield, “I would give a handful of golden sovereigns if I had power to influence people with the motion of my hands, as he does.” The secret of George Whitefield’s power was not in his hands, but in his prayer life. After an all-night prayer vigil, George Whitefield spoke in Glasgow to thousands of people and an agnostic ran down the street crying, “Me thinks me seen Jesus today.”

John Wesley once spent the night in prayer and multitudes came the next day to hear him preach. When he was asked how he could draw such crowds, he replied, “I simply set myself on fire and people come to watch me burn.” The people said his face glowed with radiance and light. Once when John Wesley was preaching in the slums of London, he was interfering with the sinful pleasures of the wicked crowd. Two ruffians decided to stone him. One ran up to him with a stone in his drawn hand, but another cried out, “Don’t do it, Bill, he ain’t a man.” After the services were concluded, that man touched the hand of John Wesley and cried out to his friend, “He is a man, Bill, but he’s like God.”

Oh, to have the power of prayer and to come before the throne of God! What a privilege! What power it produces!


What to do:
✞ Pray fervently.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email