Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Daily Devotion: What the Father Wants

Bible Reading: Matthew 7:20-27

Key Verse: Verse 21 - “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.”

Key Words: but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven

It almost sounds like one has to work for their salvation in verse 21 but verse 22 makes it clear that is not the case at all. “Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you.”

Those who go to heaven are those who do the will of God. So what is the will of God?

John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” So what is the will of the Father? That we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior.

II Peter 3:9, “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”

I Timothy 2:3-4, “For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.”

Years ago a young lady whom I had never met before came by my office. She had colored her hair purple, green and orange. She had piercings all around her ears, nose and tongue. When I inquired as to what I could do for her, she said, “I would like to join your church.” I asked, “Why our church?” She told me that she had joined the Catholic church, the Seventh-Day Adventists, the Assembly of God, and she named a couple of others. Again I asked, “Why would you want to join our church?” “Because,” she said, “I want to make sure I join the right church to get me into Heaven.”

How sad! No, she didn’t get saved that day nor since as far as I know. She is still joining churches hoping that by so doing she will get into Heaven.

Titus 3:5a, “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us….”

What to do:
✞ Get it right. It’s not works that produces salvation, but rather salvation that produces our works.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email