Sunday, July 4, 2021

Daily Devotion: The Things We Recommend

Bible Reading: Genesis 16:1-6

Key Verse: Verse 2 – “And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.”

Key Words: I pray thee, go in unto my maid

What in the world was Sarah thinking? Now, you have a constant battle between women and between sons and eventually between nations. Needless to say, Sarah was jealous with Hagar and angry with Abraham (verse 5).

After all the conflict Sarah had to be asking herself, “Why did I do that?” When we fail to walk by faith, we always end up asking, “Why did I do that?” I have a saying that goes, “First we make our decisions then our decisions make us.” So it was for Sarah as well.

In my years in the ministry I have had to deal with a number of marriages that were in “big trouble.” Most, not all, have to do with an unfaithful spouse. Someone who thinks they are a better catch than they really are. I remember on one occasion the man said, “Look at her, I deserve better.” I remember saying to him as I pulled out a mirror, “Look at you, no you don’t!” But even with this, the wife didn’t say, “I’ve got another woman I think you’ll be happy with.” It wasn’t Sarah’s place to provide a “nation;” it was God’s.

Now men, let me give you some unasked-for advice: if your wife says to you, “I know I’m not as pretty as I once was and I know I can’t have any more children, but I’ve got someone else.” Say no!! It’s a trap you will be in for the rest of your life; and you will be asking yourself, “Why would I want to do that?”


What to do:

First, you make your decisions then your decisions make you!


Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email