Thursday, July 15, 2021

Daily Devotion: Sowing and Reaping

Bible Reading: I Kings 21:1-19

Key Verse: Verse 19 – “And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, Hast thou killed, and also taken possession? And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, In the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth shall dogs lick thy blood, even thine.”

Key Words: Thus saith the LORD, In the place where dogs licked

Ahab’s reign as king was filled with deceit, mistreatment of others, intimidation and false worship. Jezebel, his heathen wife, was behind much of the evil. She knew how to manipulate Ahab to accomplish her evil deeds one of which was falsely accusing Naboth, having him stoned and Ahab taking his property which he lusted after. The one thing they both forgot was you can fool man but you can’t fool God. They will reap what they have sown. One day their blood would be licked by dogs. In the end, they had to be wondering, “Why did I do that?”

Years ago when our girls were young, we lived just outside Salt Lake City, Utah, in a community called Sandy. In our back yard was a peach tree and yes, we did get peaches from that tree; but the tree eventually died. I decided I would get another peach tree, plant it and continue to get peaches. I was told by others that Utah is not “peach friendly.” It’s hard to get the peach tree to flourish. But still me being me, I got one anyway and planted it. Fast forward a couple of years and one day in late summer, my oldest daughter came running in the house with something she was hiding in her hand. When I inquired as to what she had, she said, “A cherry!” “Where did you get a cherry?” She looked at me and said, “From the peach tree!”

The tree that I purchased, thinking it was a peach tree, wasn’t. Now, we could call it a peach tree but it was very obviously a cherry tree and could only produce cherries. It produced “what it was.” So it is in our lives, we can call ourselves loving, kind and gracious; but in the end if we are evil, we will reap evil. One day we will ask ourselves, “Why did I do that?”

What to do:

Be prepared to reap what you sow, not what you say you sow!!



Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email