Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Daily Devotion: The Question Not Asked


Bible Reading: Nehemiah 13:14-31

Key Verse: Verse 14 – “Remember me, O my God, concerning this, and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God, and for the offices thereof.”

Key Words: Remember me, O my God

The book of Nehemiah is a book of restoration: the restoring of the walls around the city of Jerusalem, the restoring of worship, the restoring of giving, and the restoring of Levitical duties.

Nehemiah, at some point, leaves Jerusalem and returns to Babylon for a period of time. In chapter 13 he has returned to Jerusalem to find much of what had been restored, decimated.

They were no longer worshipping on the Sabbath (verses 15-16).

The Levites were said to be unclean (verse 22).

They were marrying outside of God’s will (verses 23-25).

You read part of Nehemiah’s response in verse 25, “And I contended with them and cursed them (the word cursed does not mean profanity, but to scold and put down), and smote certain of them, and plucked off their hair, and made them swear by God, saying, Ye shall not give your daughters unto their sons….”

The thing I notice is not the question they asked but the question they failed to ask, “Why did we do that?”

I do believe there is a lesson in this regarding spiritual leadership or lack thereof. When a people have no spiritual leadership, at best they do nothing, at worst they go back to their sinful ways.

I leave you with one question. Could it be that, that’s the reason so many churches today are doing nothing or going in the wrong direction? Because they have no spiritual leaders or maybe those in leadership are not really spiritual. Just saying….

What to do:

Remember, It’s not good to have to ask why did I do that? It’s worse to need to ask, but don’t



Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email