Friday, July 2, 2021

Daily Devotion: The Invitation We Make

Source: Wikipedia
Bible Reading: Genesis 12:1-9

Key Verse: Verse 4 - “So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.”

Key Words: and Lot went with him

Have you ever invited someone to tag along with you on a trip, or maybe you just invited them over to your house? After a couple of hours or days, you are asking yourself, “What was I thinking when I decided to take them along?”

Now, I’m not sure if Abraham ever asked himself that in regard to Lot but I sure wouldn’t be surprised if he did. While wanting, I am sure to be a blessing to Lot, Lot turned out to be a burden to him. Bickering herdsmen, Lot going into Sodom, being taken as a POW (prisoner of war), and Abraham having to go after him. I would surely ask myself, “Why did I take him along?”

While we should desire to be a blessing to everyone, this idea of being a blessing works both ways. I want to be a blessing to you so come along with me. They should want to be a blessing to you for allowing them to come along. But when one only has himself in mind, they just become a burden.

In one of the episodes of Andy Griffith, Gomer had been fired from his “filling station” job and had no place to stay since the job provided him with a one-room apartment in the back of the station. Well, Andy decided he’d be the nice guy and invited Gomer to stay at his house until he could find a place. This turned out to be a bad decision on Andy’s part. Gomer was a night person but Andy, Aunt Bea and Opie weren’t. You get the idea. Gomer constantly had friends coming over which was a problem for Andy and the family. Plus the front porch full of firewood put there by Gomer was a bit over the top. Andy had to be asking himself, “Why did I invite him to stay with me?”

Remember, people who only think of themselves will never be a blessing to you, only a burden.


What to do:

Love everyone, but some you need to love from a distance.


Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email