Sunday, July 11, 2021

Daily Devotion: Challenging God


Bible Reading: I Samuel 17:12-50

Key Verse: Verse 45 - “Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.”

Key Words: whom thou hast defied

From a physical standpoint this battle wasn’t even fair. You see, Goliath was too big to miss and David was too small to hit.

From a spiritual standpoint this battle wasn’t fair. You see, Goliath trusted in gods that didn’t even exist but David trusted in his God, who is the true and living God. But both David and Goliath had faith…one in the Creator of the universe and the other in a god made by man’s hands.

  • Goliath challenged God and lost but that shouldn’t surprise us. Anyone who challenges God will lose.

  • Baal challenged God and lost (I Kings 18:39-40).

  • Dagon challenged God and lost (I Samuel 5:2-5).

  • Allah has been defeated. The Muslims simply have not figured that out yet; but they will and one day, they will all ask, “Why did I do that?”

George Bernard Shaw is perhaps most renowned as a free thinker and liberal philosopher. In his last writings we read, “The science to which I pinned my faith is bankrupt. Its counsels, which should have established the millennium, led, instead, directly to the suicide of Europe. I believed them once. In their name I helped to destroy the faith of millions of worshippers in the temples of a thousand creeds. And now they look at me and witness the great tragedy of an atheist who has lost his faith.”

One day Goliath, George Bernard Shaw and millions, maybe even billions, will stand before God and ask, “Why did I do that?”

What to do:

Don’t challenge God, you’ll lose every time.



Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email