Thursday, July 8, 2021

Daily Devotion: Forgetting The Consequences Of Our Actions


Bible Reading: Joshua 7:1-10 and 20-26

Key Verse: Verse 5 - “And the men of Ai smote of them about thirty and six men: for they chased  from before the gate even unto Shebarim, and smote them in the going down: wherefore the hearts of the people melted, and became as water.

Key Words: And the men of Ai smote of them

Our actions always carry consequences. Achan disobeyed God and took the silver and gold and the goodly Babylonish garment. Now as a result of that, Israel was defeated in battle. Thirty-six soldiers died, plus Achan and his children and his livestock. When we fail to realize every decision we make affects others, we bring reproach upon ourselves and harm to others.

I’m sure Achan had to have asked himself, “Why did I do that?”

Harvard anthropologist William Howells tells about a near disaster for the residents of Cape Cod. The trouble began when boys shot the insulators off Cape Cod’s power line. Immediate confusion reigned. Few had water; the electric pumps stopped. No one could get gasoline, again no pumps. Those who did have gasoline had no traffic lights by which to stop and go. Some had to eat raw food, and some babies got colic because the electric ranges wouldn’t heat. Amidst all the pandemonium stood a herd of bawling cows, their udders near bursting point. The electric milkers couldn’t milk and apparently no one knew how to milk by hand.

When the boys were confronted with their actions, they all said, “We didn’t mean to cause all this.” I’m sure they didn’t; but I’m also sure they had to be asking themselves, “Why did we do that?”

So maybe we should stop and ask ourselves before we say that sarcastic comment or before we commit that selfish act, “After I say or do this, will I be asking myself, why did I do that?”


What to do:

Maybe we should ask ourselves, “Why am I doing this?” then I won’t need to ask, “Why did I do that?”


Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email