Thursday, November 11, 2021

Daily Devotion: Thanks for the Reminder

Bible Reading:  II Corinthians 12:1-10

Key Verse: Verse 10- “Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

Key Words: for when I am weak, then am I strong

The Apostle Paul reminds us that we are only strong in Christ when we realize that we are weak.  We all should sing, “Without Him I can do nothing,” because a truer song has never been written.

A pastor traveling by train was the only occupant of a compartment except for one young man reading a newspaper.   The youth, by his testimony, was a Christian but was weak in the faith, and he had many temptations.  So many, as a matter of fact, that he told the pastor that he could hardly bear them. 

The pastor took from his pocket a Bible and penknife, and said, “I will make the penknife stand on the cover of my Bible, in spite of the rocking of the train.” 

The young man, thinking that this was certainly a trick of some kind, watched with great interest, saying, “I am afraid that it will not be very easy to do that, sir.”

 “But,” said the pastor, “I am doing it.”

 “Oh, but you are holding it,” retorted the young man.

 “Why, of course, I am!  Did you ever see a penknife standing on its own without being held up?” 

“I see,” said the young man, “You mean that I can’t stand, and bear my temptations and testings alone – Christ must hold me up.”  The conversation ended when the young man said, “Thanks for reminding me.”

None of us can stand alone without Christ.  Today, thank the Lord that He is holding you up.


What to do:
✞ Understand that you can do all things through Christ which strengthens you.
Ask God daily for His strength.
Remember, it’s easier to fail than succeed; but real success only comes through Christ.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email