Saturday, November 6, 2021

Daily Devotion: A Thankful Man

Bible Reading:  II Timothy 1:1-18

Key Verse: Verse 3 - “I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day;”

Key Words:  I thank God

If I were to ask you what one thing stands out in your mind about the Apostle Paul, what would your answer be?  As I study the life of Paul, the one thing that stands out in my mind is his gratitude.  You just never seem to find Paul discouraged, even though he was beaten several times, put in prison, and often threatened with death.  He had to travel in constant danger of being robbed; he was shipwrecked and lived a constant life of peril; but in spite of all of the above things, Paul was constantly in a spirit of thanksgiving.

·   I Corinthians 1:4a, “I thank my God always on your behalf,…”

·   Ephesians 1:16a, “Cease not to give thanks for you,…”

·   Philippians 1:3, “I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,”

·   Colossians 1:3, “We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,”

·   I Thessalonians 1:2, “We give thanks to God always for you all,”  And in our text, Paul thanks God for Timothy (II Timothy 1:3).

Paul was a thankful man.

The devotional book, Springs in the Valley, tells of a man who found a barn where Satan kept his seeds ready to sow in the human heart.  He found that the seeds of discouragement were more numerous than the others, and he learned that those seeds could be made to grow almost anywhere.  But when Satan was questioned, he reluctantly admitted that there was one place in which he could never get the seed of discouragement to grow.  

“And where is that?” asked the man. 

Satan replied sadly, “In the heart of a grateful person.”

Always be grateful.


What to do:
✞ Ask God to give you a grateful heart.
Stay in God’s Word.  That helps develop a grateful heart.
Focus on the spiritual and the things of God, not the   world.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email