Saturday, November 13, 2021

Daily Devotion: Thinking Yourself Happy

Bible Reading: Acts 26:1-20

Key Verse: Verse 2 – “I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am   accused of the Jews:”            

Key Words: I think myself happy

To say the least, Paul was in a perplexing situation.  He was facing death for literally doing nothing wrong (Acts 25:10).  He now stands before King Agrippa and says, “I think myself happy.” 

There are times that in the midst of all sorrow and trials, we have to look for the good and literally “think ourselves happy.”  Have you ever done that?  I know those who think themselves into sorrow, and others who think themselves into a fit of anger; but I know very few people who think themselves into being happy.

Near the end of her life, Frances Havergal jotted down on a calendar everyday things  for which she thanked God for that day.  She said, “It’s my way of thinking myself happy.”

The seventeenth century pastor Jeremy Taylor was persecuted for his faith.  His house was plundered, his family driven out, his estate seized.  He wrote, “I have fallen into the hands of publicans, and they have taken all from me.  Now what?  They have taken away my merry countenance, my cheerful spirit, and a good conscience.  They have still, though, left me with my family, my Bible, the promises of God, my hope of heaven, and my charity to them, too.  Still I sleep, I eat, I drink, I read, I meditate.  God has given me so many causes for joy that the little handful of thorns shall not take away my thankfulness to God.”

Should we not carry the same attitude?  Today, I challenge you - no matter what happens in your life, think yourself happy.

What to do:
✞ Focus on the things that matter, not the things that do not matter.
Stay close to God.  Thinking oneself happy requires this.
Stay in the Word.  Thinking oneself happy requires this, as well.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email