Friday, November 19, 2021

Daily Devotion: Forgive Me When I Whine

Bible Reading:  Numbers 11:1-9

Key Verse: Verse 1 – “And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp.” 

Key Words: the people complained

How quickly we forget the blessings of God!  Israel had been led out of Egypt by God.  They had crossed the Red Sea safely – on dry ground, I might add.  They had watched as the army of the enemy had been consumed by that same sea.  God had provided food and water; their clothing and shoes were seemingly everlasting.  God had provided for them a land flowing with milk and honey, but yet they whined.  They whined for the same reasons we whine.  We focus on what we don’t have rather than on what we do have. 

I read the following and found it to be a blessing.  I trust you will as well.  The author is unknown.

 

Forgive Me When I Whine

Today upon a bus, I saw a lovely maid with golden hair;

I envied her – she seemed so gay, and how I wished I were so fair;

When suddenly she rose to leave, I saw her hobble down the aisle;

She had one foot and wore a crutch, but as she passed, she smiled.

Oh God, forgive me when I whine; I have two feet – the world is mine.

And when I stopped to buy some sweets, the lad who served me had such charm;

He seemed to radiate good cheer; his manner was so kind and warm;

I said, “It’s nice to deal with you; such courtesy I seldom find;”

He turned and said, “Oh, thank you sir.”  And then I saw that he was blind.

Oh God, forgive me when I whine; I have two eyes – the world is mine.

Then, when walking down the street, I saw a child with eyes of blue;

He stood and watched the others play; it seemed he knew not what to do;

I stopped a moment, then I said, “Why don’t you join the others, dear?”

He looked ahead without a word, and then I knew he could not hear.

Oh God, forgive me when I whine; I have two ears – the world is mine.

With feet to take me where I’d go, with eyes to see the sunset’s glow,

With ears to hear what I would know. I am blessed indeed.

The world is mine – oh, God forgive me when I whine.


Oh Lord, forgive us when we whine!!!



What to do:
✞ Put up an “I will not whine” sign in a prominent place.
Write down all the reasons you have to whine, and then visit the cancer ward of Children’s Hospital.  You will stop your whining in a mega-second.
Everyday thank God for your health.