Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Daily Devotion: Thanksgiving

Bible Reading:  I Thessalonians 5:15-28

Key Verse: Verse 18 – “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”

Key Words:  In every thing give thanks

Soon we will be celebrating Thanksgiving, a day set aside to remember all the blessings of God, our country, and our family.  But would you not agree with me that we should be thankful everyday for the blessings of God?  Which raises the question how...how can I develop an attitude of gratitude?  Let me suggest the following.

1.     Do not focus on the material things of life but focus on the spiritual things.  Focusing on the material things will lead to being emotionally low because the flesh can never be happy; it is always wanting more.  Read Mark 10:17-21.

2.    Do not focus on what you cannot do–focus on what you can do.  Everyone has different gifts and talents.  Do what you can do.

3.    Do not focus on what you do not have–focus on what you do have.  Reminds me of an illustration I use occasionally.  It goes in part...

 

Ø      I complained about poor eyesight until I saw the man who was blind.

Ø      I complained about my poor hearing until I met the man who was deaf.

Ø      I complained about my aching legs until I saw the man who had no legs.


4.   Focus on what you have, not what you do not or cannot have.

5.  Do not focus on yourself, focus on others.  Remember J-O-Y stands for Jesus first, others second, and you last.

6.   And last of all, focus on God, not man.

Remember, a spirit of thankfulness depends on what you are focusing on.  Make sure your focus is right, and you will daily have an attitude of gratitude.

What to do:
✞ Ask God to continue to give you an attitude of gratitude.
Apply the principles found in today’s devotion, but do so daily.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email