Sunday, November 14, 2021

Daily Devotion: Think and Thank

Bible Reading:  Proverbs 23:1-9

Key Verse: Verse 7 – “For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.”

Key Words:  For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he

Look again, please, at verse seven in our Scripture reading for today and notice the word “thinketh.”  Did you know that the words think and thank come from the same root?  I tell you this simply to remind you that how you think will determine your thanks.

Helen Keller once said, “I have often thought that it would be a blessing if each human being were stricken blind and deaf for a few days at some point during their teen years.  It would help them to be more thankful during their adult years.”

Former Senator Richard Neuberger once said, “The experience of contracting cancer changed me.  A change came over me which, I believe, is irreversible.  Questions of prestige, of political success, of financial status, became all at once unimportant.  In their stead has come a new appreciation of things I once took for granted, such as eating lunch with a friend, scratching my cat’s ear and hearing her purr, the company of my wife, reading a book or magazine in the comfort of my bed, raiding the refrigerator for a glass of orange juice or a slice of cake.  For the first time I think I am savoring life.  I shudder when I remember all the occasions that I spoiled myself, even when I had the best of health, by my false pride, synthetic values, and my worldly goals.  As I think about it, it really is the little day-to-day things that make one thankful!!”

“As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.”


What to do:
✞ Spiritually evaluate your priorities and goals in life.
Ask yourself, “Am I really a thankful person?”  (You will know that by what you think about.)
Read Philippians 4:8; and as you do, ask yourself, “Is this my thought life?”
Everyday make a thankful list (not a lengthy one).

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email