Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Daily Devotion: Results of Maturity

Bible Reading: I Peter 5:1-10

Key Verse: Verse 10 – "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."

Key Words: make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you

The results of spiritual maturity as listed by Peter are we become stablished. The word means stable, not double-minded. Next, we become strengthened which means strong spiritually. Thirdly, we become settled, to put down roots. Some people are constantly moving, looking for who knows what, but a mature believer finds a place of service and settles in. They put down some roots.

There is something to be said for being content where we are. The one thing people will sometimes say to me is, “What about missionaries? They move from place to place. Yes, and they lead people to Christ, establish a church, make sure the church is solid. They then help them to find a pastor before they move on. Then I ask, “So you are saying you are a missionary?” The answer I most often hear is, “No.”

The key to stablishing, growing strong, and settling is being mature.

Our not-quite-two-year-old grandson was at our house for Christmas festivities. He would run and sit in his mother’s lap, and then he would go to his Nana and stay a few minutes. Then he finally came to me and sat in my lap for a short period of time; but after that he wanted to go. I held him in my lap even though he was fighting to go. I finally said to him, “Son, you need to stay in one place.” He looked at me and spoke very clearly one of the few words he knows, “No!” to which one of adults chimed in and said, “What do you expect, Pawpaw? He’s just a baby!”

Yep, I think that gives a pretty clear picture of why some just can’t be stable or settled in. They just need to grow up.


What to do:
✞ Stablish up, strengthen up, but settle down.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email