Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Daily Devotion: The Perfect Man

Bible Reading: James 3:1-8

Key Verse: Verse 2 - "For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body."

Key Words: If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man

The following is taken from J. Vernon McGhee’s commentary on James.

“For in many things we offend all” means that in many ways we all stumble. All of us do – bridle the whole body.” In other words, if he can control his speech, he can control his entire body, in fact, his whole life. The tongue lifts man from the animal world. It keeps him from being a gibbering ape or an aping parrot. Man is not an inarticulate animal or a mockingbird. Man can put thought into words; he can express himself; he can be understood; he can communicate on the highest level. The tongue is a badge which you and I wear – it identifies us. It is the greatest index to life. It is the table of contents of our lives.

Our tongues give us away; they tell us who we are. Quite a few years ago I was rushing with my wife and little girl from a conference in Salt Lake City to a conference in the San Francisco Bay area. As we came over the High Sierras and Donner Pass, we stopped at a little town – I don’t even know the name of it – and pulled into a filling station. I stepped out of the car and said to the young man there, “Fill ’er up!” That’s all I said, but as I was looking out at those mountains and the lovely scenery, I became conscious that he was eyeing me. Finally, I turned to him and smiled. He said to me, “Are you Dr. McGhee?” I said, “I sure am. Do I know you?” He said, “No.” I said, “Do you know me?” He said, “No, I’ve never seen you before, but up here, especially during the wintertime when we are all snowed in, we listen to you every Sunday night on the radio. We’ve been doing it for years. I’d know your voice anywhere.” I’ve had that same experience a number of times. You see, my tongue gives me away.”


What to do:
✞ Our words reveal our maturity so what do your words say about you?

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email