Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Daily Devotion: Witnessing vs. Proselyting


Bible Reading: Matthew 23:13-22

Key Verse:  Verse 15 - Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Key Words:  ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte

Most of us would never attempt to steal from our neighbor.  We would consider that a most horrible crime, yet many of us attempt to steal (proselyte) members of one church to another.  Those who do such a thing may be religious but they are not Christian.

Some years ago my grandfather walked me down to the corner store.  While he and the store owner talked, I looked around to see what I could find.  I spotted a Tom's cookie jar and my mouth began to water.  I wanted one of those cookies so while my grandfather and the store owner were being "chit-chatty", I quickly took a cookie and stuck it in my pocket.

While Grandpa and I were walking back home my conscience got the best of me and I confessed to stealing the cookie.  To my amazement my Grandpa said, "I know you stole it.  I watched you take it.  The question is," he asked, "what do you do now?"  "Take it back," I said...which I did.

Now, I felt the shame of my thievery and my stealing had not only affected me but also my Grandpa, the store-owner, my mom and dad.  Now, we all know that stealing is wrong.  We understand that principle.  There is no blessing in stealing!  The same principle applies when it comes to stealing "members" as well.

Trust me, there are enough people out there who need Jesus for us to build our church without stealing other's "sheep."  Let's all be witnesses - not proselyters!!

What to do:
✞ Be a witness, not a proselyter.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email