Sunday, February 6, 2022

Daily Devotion: Self-Judgment vs. Judging Others

Bible Reading:  Matthew 7:1-13

Key Verse: Verse 1 - Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Key Words:  Judge not

A great deal of judging goes on in the average church, doesn't it?  I have wondered on occasion if judging other church members is not the chief indoor sport of some people.

Let me key in on two principles that we must apply if we are to remain Christian in our dealings with other church members.

First, we must start with ourselves.  We read in Matthew 7:3-4, "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?  Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?"

I was playing baseball in high school when a strong gust of wind blew some dirt in my eye.  They had to take me to the doctor.  I will never forget how the doctor bent over me, put a special magnifying device over his eye, and particle by particle picked the dirt from my eye.  But suppose the doctor had something in his eye to prevent him from seeing correctly?  Now I'm in danger.  Before the doctor could help me, he would need to help himself.  The principle is: when it comes to judging, start with yourself.

Secondly, get all the facts.  John 7:24, "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment."  So often we become a judge and jury and render decisions on others when we don't have all the facts or we judge them based on "what we think we see."

Some years ago while taking the girls to school; one of my daughters opened one of her school books which had a particular picture with a caption that read, "What is it?"  One of the girls guessed a sucker.  I guessed an ice cream cone.  When my daughter revealed the full picture, it was a can of shaving cream with the shaving cream coming out of the can.  We based our answers on what we thought we saw.  We went by appearance rather than full knowledge.

So if we are to be Christian in our dealings   with others, we must first start with ourselves, and then make sure our judgments are based on all the facts...not what we hear or think we see but on what we genuinely know.

So let us all strive to be Christian in our judging of others, especially other church members.


What to do:
✞ The religious crowd judges others; the Christians judge themselves.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email