Saturday, February 22, 2020

Daily Devotion: SHADRACH, MESHACH, AND ABEDNEGO: THE FAITH NOT TO BOW


Bible Reading: Daniel 3 and Hebrews 11:34a

Key Verse: Hebrews 11:34a - "Quenched the violence of fire,…”

Key Words: Quenched the violence of fire

I marvel at these three Hebrew men. There is a gospel song about these three men. Part of the song says, “They wouldn’t bend, they wouldn’t bow, they wouldn’t burn.” But have you ever considered the following about these three?

First of all, they wouldn’t bow to the false image. They were specifically commanded to not have any god before God; and they were commanded to not bow before any image (Exodus 20:3-5). They obeyed by faith.

Secondly, they shunned the music of the world as well. Notice though this was “worship music.” False worship and false music always go together.

Thirdly, they ignored the pressure. While everyone is bowing, these three refuse to bow – ignoring the pressure to “fit in” and be like everyone else.

There was a tightrope walker, who did incredible aerial feats. All over Paris, he would do tightrope acts at tremendously scary heights. Then he had succeeding acts; he would do it blindfolded, pushing a wheelbarrow. An American promoter read about this in the papers and wrote a letter to the tightrope walker, saying, “Tightrope, I don’t believe you can do it, but I’m willing to make you an offer. For a very substantial sum of money, besides all your transportation fees, I would like to challenge you to do your act over Niagara Falls.” Now, Tightrope wrote back, “Sir, although I’ve never been to America and seen the Falls, I’d love to come.” Well, after a lot of promotion and setting the whole thing up, many people came to see the event. Tightrope was to start on the Canadian side and come to the American side. Drums roll, and he comes across the rope which is suspended over the treacherous part of the falls – blindfolded!! And he makes it across easily. The crowds go wild, and he comes to the promoter and says, “Well, Mr. Promoter, now do you believe I can do it?” “Well, of course I do. I mean, I just saw you do it.” “No,” said Tightrope, “do you really believe I can do it?” “Well, of course I do, you just did it.” “No, no, no,” said Tightrope, “do you believe I can do it?” “Yes,” said Mr. Promoter. “I believe you can do it.” “Good,” said Tightrope, “then you get in the wheelbarrow.”

That’s what Shadrach, Meshach, and Obednego did. They didn’t just talk faith, they lived faith; and as a result, God blessed them (Daniel 3:30).


What to do:
✞ Don’t bow to false worship.
✞ Don’t bow to false music.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email