Sunday, February 2, 2020

Daily Devotion: ABEL: THE FAITH TO WORSHIP RIGHT


Bible Reading: Genesis 4:1-8 and Hebrews 11:4

Key Verse: Hebrews 11:4 - "By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Key Words: By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice...

Have you ever heard someone say something similar to the following: “I’ve been to the house of God to worship God”? Now the truth is, because one has gone to church doesn’t mean that they have genuinely worshipped God. Genuine worship according to Hebrews 11:4 involves three things.

First of all, it involves faith. Remember faith is taking God at His Word in spite of my feelings, circumstances, or consequences, whether real or apparent. Genuine worship then means I’m going to do what I learn from God’s Word.

Secondly, genuine worship involves sacrifice. The Psalmist David said in II Samuel 24:24, “Neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing.”

Last of all, genuine worship involves evidence. The word witness in Hebrews 11:4 means to give evidence; so genuine worship means that I will give evidence through my singing and praise of God that I am genuine in my worship.

If I’m genuine in my worship, I will humble myself to live by faith for God, I will sacrifice to God, and I will be a witness for God.

When a monarch of the British Empire is crowned, the Archbishop of Canterbury holds the crown in front of the one seated on the throne. Holding the crown, he speaks in one direction to the audience in Westminster Abbey, “I present to you Elizabeth of Windsor. Will you do her homage?” The people respond, “We will.” Then he addresses another part of the audience in another direction with the same question and the same response, and then to a third part. Only then does he crown the monarch. But it does take humility.


What to do:
✞ Remember and put into practice the three principles that produces genuine worship.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email