Friday, June 16, 2023

Daily Devotion: Samson – A Life of Selfishness

Bible Reading: Judges 16:15-31

Key Verse: Verse 25 – “And it came to pass, when their hearts were merry, that they said, Call for Samson, that he may make us sport. And they called for Samson out of the prison house; and he made them sport: and they set him between the pillars.”

Key Words: and he made them sport

One of the most renowned of all the Hebrew judges was Samson. If there was ever a life lived with self in mind, it was the life of Samson.

  • He was filled with self-confidence. “I will go out...” Judges 16:20.

  • He was filled with ignorance. “He wist not...” Judges 16:20.

  • He was filled with self-weakness. “...the Philistines took him...” Judges 16:21.

  • He lived in self-darkness. “...and [they] put out his eyes...” Judges 16:21.

  • He lived in self-degradation. “...and brought him down to Gaza...” Judges 16:21.

  • He lived in self-bondage. “...and [they] bound him in fetters...” Judges 16:21.

  • He lived in self-humiliation. “...Call for Samson, that he may make us sport.” Judges 16:25.

Speaking of selfishness, the following are the Ten Laws of the Toddlers.

  1. If I like it, it’s mine.

  2. If it’s in my hand, it’s mine.

  3. If I can take it from you, it’s mine.

  4. If I had it a little while ago, it’s mine.

  5. It’s mine and must never appear to be yours in any way.

  6. If I see it first, it’s mine.

  7. If it looks just like mine, it’s mine.

  8. If I think it’s mine, it’s mine.

  9. If it’s yours and I take it, it’s mine.

  10. If I want it, it’s mine.

Now, this is the way a toddler thinks. “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” I Corinthians 13:11.

Mature believers are not selfish and self-centered. Only babies meet the criteria.



What to do:
✞ Grow in God’s grace. We expect three-year-olds to be self-centered, but not thirty-three-plus year-olds.


Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email