Saturday, January 30, 2021

Daily Devotion: God’s Grace


Bible Reading: II Corinthians 12

Key Verse: Verse 7 – “And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.”

Key Words: lest I should be exalted above measure

First of all, we learn that not all illness is the result of sin (verse 7). Secondly, we learn that God answers our prayers, but sometimes the answer is “no” (verse 8). Thirdly, we learn that there is a glory even in infirmities (verse 10). Fourth of all, we learn that pain should not be a hindrance to service (verses 7 – 10). Fifth of all, we learn that pride is the chief of all sins (verse 7). Last of all, we learn that God’s grace is always sufficient (verse 9).

A friend called on John Newton, author of the beloved hymn “Amazing Grace,” in the later years of his life. A portion of Scripture was read, including the verse, “But by the grace of God I am what I am (I Corinthians 15:10).” Newton then commented, “I am not what I ought to be. How imperfect and deficient! I am not what I wish to be. I abhor what is evil, and I would cleave to what is good. I am not what I hope to be. Soon I shall put off immortality, all sin, and imperfection. Yet though I am not what I ought to be, nor what I wish to be, or what I hope to be, I can truly say that I am not what I once was – a slave to sin and Satan; and I can heartily join with the apostle and acknowledge, ‘By the grace of God I am what I am.’”

You know, the same is true for us all, is it not?


What to do:

✞ Remember, if all else fails, try God’s grace. It’s always sufficient.


Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email