Sunday, January 3, 2021

Daily Devotion: A Lack Of Maturity

Bible Reading: I Corinthians 3

Key Verse: Verse 2 – “I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able..”

Key Words: I have fed you with milk, and not with meat

The church at Corinth was a carnal church. They focused on the flesh, and the things of the flesh. As a result, they never developed into spiritually mature believers. You can see their lack of spiritual maturity in several ways.

  • They were envious of one another (verse 3).

  • There was strife and division in the church (verse 3).

  • They gloried in men (verses 4, 21).

  • They failed to take care of the temple of God (verses 16, 17).

  • They used human wisdom (verse 19).

Spiritual maturity doesn’t just happen. It comes through a desire to grow through the intake of God’s Word.

In the world of academics there is a specialty known as “cramming.” It is the practice of procrastinating on studies until the last possible moment. When that day of reckoning arrives, the coffee pot is stoked and we strap ourselves to the desk for an all-night journey with our books. Cramming is a phenomenon unknown to the agricultural world. Farmers don’t cram. They can’t delay planting crops in the spring, then hit the ground really hard in the fall. If a harvest is expected in the fall, then scheduled procedures must take place throughout the year. Maybe that is why Jesus used so many agricultural illustrations. Spiritual growth doesn’t come like grades that are salvaged by intensive periods of last-minute cramming. Christ-likeness comes from a lifetime spent with the Savior, not a night of cramming for sanctification.


I trust you desire to grow and mature for your good and God’s glory.



What to do:

Realize that when I’m living with envy, division, strife, I glory in men, I fail to honor the temple of God, and I use human wisdom, it reveals my lack of spiritual maturity and my need to apply God’s Word more abundantly to my life.


Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email