Saturday, June 3, 2017

Daily Devotion: A Great Reward

Bible Reading: Matthew 5:1-12

Key Verse: Verse 1 2 - “Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

Key Words: for great is your reward in heaven

The great reward is not just going to heaven; we are rewarded for faithful service during time of persecution (verses 11-12). The persecution comes because of your stand for righteousness (verse 10). Righteousness means to be on the level. The idea is that our thoughts, actions, and lives are on the level with God’s Word. When you live righteously, you will suffer persecution (II Timothy 3:12); but all who live righteously will also be rewarded.

Marie Gilbreath in Reader’s Digest tells the following: “One morning I opened the door to get the newspaper and was surprised to see a strange little dog with our paper in his mouth. Delighted with this unexpected ‘delivery service,’ I fed him some treats. The following morning I was horrified to see the same dog sitting in front of our door, wagging his tail, surrounded by eight newspapers. I spent the rest of that morning returning the papers to their owners.”

I can’t tell you that I know what the dog was thinking; but I have an idea that he thought: “If I got one snack for one paper, just think what I can get for eight papers!” Now,Marie, I’m sure, didn’t reward the dog’s efforts; but God does! God is a great rewarder of those who live righteously for His glory.


What to do:
✞ We are all rewarded – some for righteousness, and others for unrighteousness; the choice is yours.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email