Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Daily Devotion: Positive Gospel

Bible Reading:  I Corinthians 16:13-24 

Key Verse: Verse 13 – “Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.”

Key Words: stand fast

We live in a day of a “positive gospel.”  People go to church for the sole purpose of being encouraged.  People want to hear what God can do for them, not in the spiritual realm but in the physical arena of life.  What can God do for me financially?  What can God do for my bad health?  What can God do about my job situation?  And the list goes on.  Now, there is at least a two-fold problem with this “what can God do for me – encourage me” positive gospel message. 

            First of all, it is self-centered.  The focus is me, myself, and I.  The Bible condemns this selfish attitude.  James 4:3, “Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.”

            Secondly, it is a one-sided relationship.  What can God do for me?  Well, what about what you can do for God?  Even the Ten Commandments are a list of what God wanted Israel to do-not only for themselves, but also for Him.

1.       Have no other gods before Me.

2.      Do not make any graven image.

3.      Do not take My Name in vain.

4.      Keep the Sabbath day holy.

5.      Honor your father and mother.

6.      Do not kill.

7.      Do not commit adultery.

8.      Do not steal.

9.      Do not lie (bear false witness).

10.   Do not covet.

If our relationship with God is to be successful, it must have both a positive and a negative to cause a charge in our life.  Without both a positive and negative charge, we would have no electricity.  Without both a positive and negative charge, there is no car that would ever run.  Why, if all children hear are positive comments, they become brats.  So the world wants to hear a positive gospel, maybe that is the reason the church has no power.  The church has made God their little errand boy... “get me money; get me good health; get me a nice car; get me a nice house; get me a good job.”  Many look at God as nothing more than their “gofer” when, in reality, He is the “Captain of our Salvation,” and we are His army.  He is attempting to rally us to stand against the gates of hell.  You want to be encouraged?  I will encourage you-I will encourage you to stand up for righteousness, holiness, and purity!



What to do:
✞ While we should depend upon God to meet our needs, we must be willing to be used of God to meet the needs of others.
✞ Quit looking to always be encouraged by others. Encouragement comes as you encourage others.


Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email