Monday, November 28, 2022

Daily Devotion: Organization


Bible Reading: I Corinthians 14:33-40 

Key Verse: Verse 40 – “Let all things be done decently and in order.”

Key Words: decently and in order

I am a real stickler for organization and structure - planning out today, tomorrow, next week, next year…oh well, you get the picture. I am ever cognizant of the words of Bernard Baruch, “Whatever failures I have known, whatever errors I have committed, whatever follies I have witnessed in private and public life, have been the consequence of action without thought.” The best verses (so far as this pastor is concerned) in God’s Word for motivating us toward structure and organization are found in Ephesians 5:15-17, “See that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.” Verses like this always grab my attention and shake me and say, “Wake up, son.”

These are the three evidences I look for in one not being structured or organized (not redeeming the time wisely): 1) a lack of punctuality, 2) procrastination, and 3) poor planning.

The story of Charles Schwab and Ivy Lee certainly come to mind when I think of organization and structure. Schwab was president of Bethlehem Steel. Lee, a consultant, was given the challenge, “Show me a way to get more things done with my time.” Schwab agreed to pay Lee anything within reason if Lee’s suggestions worked. Lee later handed Schwab the following plan.

Write down the most important tasks you have to do tomorrow. Number them in order of importance. When you arrive in the morning, begin immediately on number one, stay with it until the job is finished. Recheck your priorities and begin on number two, then number three, etc. Make this a daily habit. Send me a check for whatever you think my advice is worth.” Lee got a check for $25,000 and Bethlehem Steel became the largest independent producer of steel during the heyday of the steel industry.

Your choices are two-fold: 1) structure or 2) failure. I prefer number one, don’t you?




What to do:
Understand that organization requires a priority system. I prioritize in three ways: that which is necessary comes first; that which is needful comes second, and that which is nice is last on the priority scale.
Always remember that a lack of organization on your part does not necessarily constitute an emergency on mine.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email