Thursday, October 22, 2020

Daily Devotion: Giving

Bible Reading: Acts 4:32 – 5:11

Key Verse: Verse 4:34 – “Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,”

Key Words: and brought the prices of the things that were sold

Thought: Stealing from God is like robbing the police station – not a good idea.

Tony Evans tells the following.

I remember when I was teaching my oldest son, Anthony, about giving. At the time, he was getting one dollar a week for an allowance. I explained to him that he now had to give ten cents to God before he spent the other ninety. I also explained that ten cents was the minimum and that he could give more based on his gratefulness. My son understood that he had to tithe before he could buy candy. Anthony was not a happy camper.

First, he explained to me that one dollar wasn't enough to buy anything. He started quoting the prices of all his favorite candies. Second, he couldn't believe that he had to cut into his too-little allowance to share with God.

So, I had to teach him. I said, “Now, Son, where did you get the dollar?” “Well, Daddy, you gave it to me.” “Where did Daddy get the money to give you the dollar?” “Well, you got the money from your salary at the church.” “Well, how did I get money from the salary at the church in order to give you the dollar?”

Because the people go to work and then they give and then you get a salary from which you gave me a dollar.”

So where did the people get the money out of which I got a salary to give you a dollar?”

Well, the people have jobs and when the people got paid at their jobs, they gave a portion of their income from which you get a salary to give me a dollar.”

Tell me some kinds of jobs that the people do who got the salary who gave the money that provided me the salary to give you a dollar.”

My son started naming a bunch of different kinds of jobs. For each job he mentioned, I explained to him all of the natural resources it took, under the good hand of God the Father, to make those jobs possible – that also made my salary and his dollar possible.

After that conversation, he put fifteen cents into the offering. When you understand that everything starts with God, it motivates you to give to Him first.


What to do:

Remember the words of Malachi, “Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me, But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings” Malachi 3:8.



Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email