Monday, October 26, 2020

Daily Devotion: False Flattery

Bible Reading: Proverbs 28:17-28

Key Verse: Verse 23 – “He that rebuketh a man afterwards shall find more favour than he that flattereth with the tongue.”

Key Words: flattereth with the tongue

Thought: Only two groups of people fall for flattery: men and women.


Note what others have said of flattery.

One who extremely exaggerates in his opinion of your qualities, so that it may come nearer to your opinion of them." ~ Oscar Wilde, when asked his definition of a flatterer.

Flattery is like cologne water, to be smelt of, not swallowed.” ~ Josh Billings, 19th century writer.

Praise, like gold and diamonds, owes its value to its scarcity.” ~ Dr. Samuel Johnson.

Flattery corrupts both the receiver and the giver.” ~ Edmund Burke.

Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you.” ~ William Ward, college administrator.

It's great to compliment others, but false flattery is like soap: 90% lye.



What to do:

It's always wise to remember that when talking to a person who likes to be flattered, you are only telling them what they already think of themselves.



Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email