Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Daily Devotion: The Eyes of the Lord

Bible Reading Proverbs 15:1-9 

Key Verse: Verse 13 - “The eyes of the LORD are in  every place, beholding the evil and the good.”

Key Words: The eyes of the Lord are in every place

I once heard the story about a little fellow who spent his summers with his sister on his grandparent’s farm.  They would go to the farm in the summertime and spend the summer riding horses, playing with the cows, and running in the woods.  They just had a real big time.

One day the little boy decided he would make a slingshot.  He got to where he was quite an expert at hitting things with it.  So, he looked out and there was his grandmother’s prize goose. 

Sure enough he hit that goose right on the head and he killed it and he knew he was in trouble.  So he said to himself, “I’d better dig a hole and bury it before anyone finds out.”

So he dug a hole and put the goose into it and he was covering the goose over when he heard his sister say, “I caught you, I caught you, I caught you!  I saw what you did.  I saw you kill grandmother’s goose and I’m going to tell on you!” 

She really had him.  I mean she really had that poor fellow and she made life miserable for him.  When it was her turn to get the water, he had to go get it because he was being blackmailed.  When it was her time to bring in some wood for the stove, he had to do it because he feared she would tell on him.

She just made life miserable for him.  He was guilty and he knew he was guilty.  He was under condemnation and the guilt of what he had done.  It began to eat away at him and finally he just couldn’t stand it anymore.  It was just eating him alive and tearing his little heart up.

Finally, one day he went running into grandma’s room.  He threw himself into her arms and said, “Oh, grandmother.  I killed your goose.  I did it.  I didn’t think the rock would kill it.  I buried the goose and I have been so afraid that sister was going to tell you that I just can’t stand it!  Would you please forgive me for killing your goose?”

His grandmother said, “Why son, I was looking out the window and I saw you kill that goose.  I have known you did it all this time.  I just wanted you to come and ask me to forgive you for it.”

It is true – God is watching!!


What to do:
✞ Live your life every moment of every day as if God is watching – because He is!