Monday, January 23, 2023

Daily Devotion: My Own Way

Bible Reading:  Isaiah 53 

Key Verse: Verse 6 - “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.”

Key Words: All we like sheep have gone astray

As you study the Word of God, it becomes very clear that the problem in regard to God’s will is not in knowing it, but in doing it.

Adam and Eve, Cain, and Jonah all knew God’s will but failed to obey it.  Time doesn’t permit us to tell about Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and many others who at one point knew God’s will, but failed to obey it.

Donald Grey Barnhouse tells the following in regard to God’s will:

“One day, one of my children came out of the dining room with me and walked along to my study.  There was a question about what was to be done in a certain matter.  As I sat down at my desk I gave a clear and detailed answer.  My child hesitated, then broke in with a question.  I kept on at my work without looking up.” 

“‘But, Daddy…’ the child insisted, and phrased the matter in another way.

“Mother came along to find out what the delay was in fulfilling the command. 

“The child answered, ‘I am trying to find out what Daddy wants me to do.’ 

“At this point I broke in:  ‘No.  You are not trying to find out what I want you to do.  You are trying to find out if you can make me relent on the conditions so that you will be able to do what you want to do instead of doing what you know we want you to do.  Now go and do it immediately.’”

How many times the Heavenly Father has to deal with us in this way!  Our old nature is incurably addicted to having its own way.  This is inherent in the statement that tells of the distance which separates the soul from God.  “All we like sheep have gone astray; and we have turned every one to his own way…” (Isaiah 53:6).


What to do:
✞ It is not just knowing God’s will that produces joy, it is doing God’s will.
The key to happiness is not getting your way but letting God have His.  Are you doing that today and everyday?
List a half-dozen things that are God’s will for your life today.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email