Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Daily Devotion: The Blind Officer


Bible Reading: I Peter 3:1-7 

Key Verse: Verse 4 - But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.”

Key Words: But let it be the hidden man of the heart

Our text verse advises us that God prefers inward beauty to outward glamour. I read recently about a young officer who was blinded during the war. He met and married one of the nurses who took care of him in the Army hospital. One day he overheard someone speaking about himself and his wife, and they said, “It was lucky for her that he was blind since he never would have married such a homely woman if he had his sight.”

He rose to his feet and walked toward the voices saying, “I overheard what you said, and I thank God from the depths of my heart for blindness of eyes that might have kept me from seeing the marvelous worth of the soul of the woman who is my wife. She is the most noble character I have ever known. If the conformation of her features is such that it might have masked her inward beauty to my soul, then I am the great gainer by having lost my sight.”

The Bible teaches us that man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart (I Samuel 16:7). If a man or woman possesses physical beauty, they should be thankful to God for it, but they should realize it’s really inward beauty that matters to God.



What to do:
✞ We have little control over our outward beauty, but we do have control over our inward beauty – work on it!!
✞ Outward beauty with no inward beauty still equals “ugly.”

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email