Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Daily Devotion: The Infilling of the Holy Spirit

Bible Reading:  Ephesians 5:1-21 

Key Verse: Verse 18 -  And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;”

Key Words: but be filled with the Spirit

The word filled in the original Greek means to be controlled by.  Paul tells us in our text that there is a three-fold result of being filled with the Spirit.


First of all, there will be a spiritual song in my heart.  I can know if I am filled with the Spirit by the music that I love and the songs I put into my heart.


Secondly, I can know if I am filled with the Spirit because of my thankfulness – not just saying “thank you,” but being thankful.


Thirdly, I can know if I am filled with the Spirit through my submission, primarily to those who have the rule over me.


Speaking to a large audience, D. L. Moody held up a glass and asked, “How can I get the air out of the glass?” 


One man shouted, “Suck it out with a pump.” 


Moody replied, “That would create a vacuum and shatter the glass.”  After numerous suggestions, Moody smiled, picked up a pitcher of water and filled the glass.  “There,” he said, “all the air is now removed.”  He then went on to explain that victory in the Christian life is not accomplished by “sucking out” sin here and there, but by being filled with the victory.


So it is in our lives, if we want to live victoriously, we must be controlled by the Holy Spirit of God.



What to do:
✞ Ask the Holy Spirit to control your life today and everyday.
✞ Now that you’ve asked Him, allow the Holy Spirit to control you by removing your will, desires, and “selfish spirit.”
✞ You will know whether or not you are filled with the Holy Spirit by your music, thankfulness, and submission to Godly authority.