Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Daily Devotion: The Indwelling of the Spirit


Bible Reading: Romans 8:9-15 

Key Verse: Verse 9 – But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.”

Key Words: the Spirit of God dwell in you

The word dwell means “to take up residence.”  When a person accepts Christ as their Savior, the Holy Spirit takes up residence in the inner man.


We are told in I Corinthians 6:19, “What?  Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”


This indwelling provides many things for us, but it most certainly will provide the assurance of our salvation.


Let me explain.  Say one of my grandchildren moved in with my wife and me.  That would provide many things: love, joy, peace, etc. but it would also require many changes on our part.  I, for example, would have to go from watching the History Channel to watching such things as the Animal Channel.  Meal time would be different.  Since my wife and I are empty-nesters, we don’t prepare big meals – a sandwich, a cup of soup, a bowl of cereal – but now, with a grandchild, mealtime would change, I’m sure.  Places I never go, I would find myself frequenting, such as McDonald’s, Burger King, etc.  Time and space do not allow for us to talk about such things as bathroom time, hot water for the shower, additional laundry, discussing why I refuse to have a dog live in the house, nightly homework, and the list goes on and on.  But the point is that when the grandchild took up residency, there would be some changes.  We would most certainly know she was living with us.


The same is true of the Holy Spirit.  The things I used to do have changed.  The places I used to go have changed, the things I used to watch have changed.  My desires have changed all because of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  This provides great assurance of my salvation.  To God be the glory for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.



What to do:
✞ Make sure of your salvation – does the Holy Spirit dwell within you?
✞ Thank God for this change.
✞ Now, not only does the Holy Spirit dwell within you, but you can also live in the Spirit.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email