Sunday, February 5, 2023

Daily Devotion: The Holy Spirit & Assurance

Bible Reading:  I John 5:1-13

Key Verse: Verse 13– “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”

Key Words: that ye may know

Have you ever doubted your salvation?  Be honest now!


The book of I John has a duel theme.  In chapters one and two, John deals with our fellowship with God.  In chapters three, four, and five, he deals with the assurance of salvation.  In reality, a lack of fellowship with God will bring a lack of assurance of salvation, but the Holy Spirit works to give us full assurance of salvation.


In Hebrews 10:15 we see the Holy Spirit witnessing to us.  In I John 5:10 the Holy Spirit is witnessing in us, and in Romans 8:16 the Holy Spirit is witnessing with us.  These three witnesses of the Holy Spirit allow us to have full assurance of our salvation.  Let me explain. 


On the wall in my parent’s home there are four pictures: one of my dad, my mom, my sister, and myself.  One day as I was looking at these pictures, I said to my mother, “I’m not really your child, am I?” 


When my mother inquired as to why I would think such a thing, I pointed to the pictures and said, “All of you have dark hair but me.”  Back then I was the only blonde in the group. 


My mother took me to a back room, pulled out an old shoe box with pictures in it, thumbed through the pictures until she came to a particular old picture, and showing it to me, she asked, “Who is this?”

 

I said, “It looks like me, but the picture is way too old for that.” 


Mom then said, “This is your dad when he was your age.” 


I then knew I was the child of my father.  This picture had witnessed to me, it had witness in me – now I had complete assurance that I belonged.  I took that picture everywhere I went.  I showed that picture to all my family – that picture now witnessed with me.


So it is with the Holy Spirit.  He witnesses to us, in us, and with us that we are the child of God.  “Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine.”


What to do:
✞ If you doubt your salvation, evaluate first of all your fellowship with God.
✞ Living in sin produces doubt.
✞ If you are still unsure, seek counsel from your pastor, youth pastor, or Sunday School teacher.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email