Thursday, December 8, 2022

Daily Devotion: Jesus & Giving

Bible Reading II Corinthians 9:1-12 

Key Verse: Verse 7“Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.”

Key Words: cheerful giver

The church at Corinth had promised to help the church at Jerusalem financially, but they failed to carry out their commitment.

When we fail to carry out our financial commitments, many will never have the opportunity to come to Jesus.  Our giving does matter in heaven.

W. A. Criswell used to preach from II Corinthians 9:7, ending his sermon with these words: “John Rascus put $300 in the collection plate when it passed, and he said softly, ‘I’ll see you in heaven.’  Those around him said, ‘Old John is getting senile.  He says he is going to see that $300 in heaven.  He may meet his Maker over there, but he certainly won’t meet his money.’

“Now, the church treasurer used some of that $300 to pay the electric bill.  He gave some of it to the preacher to buy gasoline.  Some went to ministerial students, and some went to the mission field.

“Early one morning John Rascus died in his sleep.  On that first Lord’s Day in glory, he walked down the golden streets and a young fellow came up and said, ‘Thank you, Brother John.  I was cold and lonely and it was a dark night.  I saw the lights of the church.  Just to get out of the dark, I went in.  While there, the darkness left my soul and I found Jesus.’

“Another came to him saying, ‘The preacher came to the filling station.  As I filled his tank, he told me about Jesus and I gave my heart to the Lord.’

“Next, John met a throng of people who said, ‘I want to thank you for those students you helped.  They preached the gospel to my family, and we found the Lord.’

“He next met those of strange tongues who said, ‘Thank you, brother, for sending us the gospel across the seas.’  Finally old John came to Hallelujah Square and, turning to an angel, he said, ‘I feel sorry for you angels.  You have never known what it is to be saved by the blood of Jesus, My Lord.’

“John Rascus mused a moment, then added, ‘And you do not know what it is to transform the possessions of earth into the treasures of heaven.’  ‘Sir,’ replied the angel, ‘all we do is just watch it from the streets of glory.’”


What to do:
✞ Do not just be a receiver of God’s blessing, be a giver   so others can be blessed.
✞ Always remember, you cannot out-give God!