Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Daily Devotion: Love is the Indicator


Bible Reading: I John 4:11-21

Key Verse: Verse 20 – “If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?”

Key Words: a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar

Our fellowship with God is validated or invalidated by our love for others.

When I was in elementary school the classroom had radiators in them. These radiators had hot water in them and they produced steam and that’s how our room was warmed. In the “good ole days” you would turn the knob up to get more steam or turn it down to reduce the amount of steam.

Well, I got to know a janitor there—we just kind of became friends—and he invited me one time to the boiler room. The boiler room was where all the mechanics were to produce all the hot water for all the rooms and the radiators in the rooms. I’ll never forget the sight of this gargantuan tank in the middle of the room. When I asked about the huge cylinder, the janitor told me that the water for heating the classrooms got boiled in there.

I happened to notice that on the side of this humongous tank a little tiny cylinder hung in place. There was a little line on it with water going up to the line. The janitor explained to me that it was an indicator that showed how much water was in the tank. Because the tank itself was too hot to inspect firsthand, the indicator was in place to show what was going on inside the tank and whether or not the water was at the appropriate heat to warm the building.

Many people come to church looking to feel God in their bones, and feel Him in their feet, and feel Him all over, but that feeling is not the true indicator that God looks at to measure how full of Him we are. His indicator is our love for one another. Love for other brothers and sisters is proof positive or proof negative of our love or lack thereof for God.


Thought: Love for others is an indicator of our love for God.


Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email