Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Daily Devotion: Gossip or Gospel

Bible Reading: John 13:31-38

Key Verse: Verse 35 - “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”

Key Words: if ye have love one to another

I believe in the inerrancy of the Scriptures. I believe in the plenary inspiration of the Scriptures. I believe in the Deity of Jesus Christ. I believe in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that Jesus is coming again. But believing those things does not convince the unsaved to come to Jesus.

The world is dying for love. The world wants to “see” our salvation in action, not just hear it from our mouths. That’s the reason Jesus told his disciples, “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”

J. Vernon McGee tells about when he was a boy:

When I was a boy, my dad died and I went to work to support my mother and sister; so I stayed with two aunts and a bachelor uncle. One aunt was a Baptist and the other a Presbyterian. My uncle was an unbeliever and a beer drinker. Every Sunday he would get up just in time for the noon meal. For dinner every Sunday we heard all the Baptist dirt and the Presbyterian dirt. Years later, when my uncle was in the hospital, one of my aunts wept and asked me, ‘Vernon, why doesn't he come to Christ?’

I almost told her. Friend, may I say, we do not win the lost by being Christian cannibals. ‘But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another’ (Gal 5:15).  This is the type of thing that is turning the unsaved away from the church today. This is the reason they don't come in to hear the gospel.  They hear the gossip before they can hear the gospel!  Do you realize that the most important commandment for a Christian is not to witness, not to serve, but to love other believers?”



Thought: Our effectiveness for Christ is measured by our love for others.


Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email