Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Daily Devotion: Worship


Bible Reading: John 4:1-26

Key Verse: Verse 24 –“God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Key Words: they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth

“Isn’t it amazing how different teens worship?” writes Marshall Shelley for Campus Life Magazine. Shelley goes on to write in part, “Some are quiet and solemn. Some kneel and some stand. Some dance and others just sit. For some, music is their worship; for others preaching is their centerpiece of worship; for others, it is only a minimal part.”

I’m afraid today that many have this same idea about worship, particularly when it comes to teens.
  • Going to church is not necessarily worship.
  • Singing a Christian hymn is not necessarily worship.
  • Praying is not necessarily worship.
The Greek word for worship is where we get our word prostrate, to lay before. It is the idea of laying before the feet of Jesus (not jumping up and down and shouting).

There are two things in verse 24 Jesus told the Samaritan woman. First, you must worship (lay prostrate before God) in Spirit. The word spirit comes from a Greek word meaning to choke. The idea is, in order to worship God in Spirit, you must choke the flesh; the flesh can’t worship God. Secondly, He says you must worship in truth. Jesus is Truth. God’s Word is Truth. Jesus is the Word of Truth; therefore, worship apart from God’s Word is not possible.

Worship is a falling down before God and realizing my need for Him; I see my inability and His ability.

Revelation 19:4, “And the four and twenty elders and the four beasts fell down and worshipped God that sat on the throne, saying, Amen; Alleluia.” Revelation 22:8-9, “And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which showed me these things. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.”

Worship is not ritualistic; it’s not even jumping up and down in excitement; worship is falling down before God and saying, “Lord, here am I, use me.”


What to do:
✞ Make sure you worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email