Saturday, March 2, 2019

Daily Devotion: B - Backsliding


Bible Reading: Proverbs 14

Key Verse: Verse 14- “The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.

Key Words: The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways

It’s clear from Proverbs 14:14 that backsliding spiritually comes from doing what we want rather than what God wants.

I’m convinced that one doesn’t wake up one morning and decide to back away from God. It’s a slow process that comes over a period of time when we start to focus on ourselves and what we desire rather than what God desires.

Mike Yaconelli wrote: “I live in a small, rural community. There are lots of cattle ranches around here, and, every once in a while, a cow wanders off and gets lost... . Ask a rancher how a cow gets lost, and chances are he will reply: ‘Well, the cow starts nibbling on a tuft of green grass, and when it finishes, it looks ahead to the next tuft of green grass and starts nibbling on that one, and then it nibbles on a tuft of grass right next to a hole in the fence. It then sees another tuft of green grass on the other side of the fence, so it nibbles on that one and then goes on to the next tuft. The next thing you know, the cow has nibbled itself into being lost.’”

Most people don’t deliberately set out to backslide, but following their appetites or desires from one tuft to the next, they nibble themselves through the fence and off the straight and narrow path.

Letter of Resignation

Dear Lord: Kindly accept this as my resignation, due to the reasons below.
  1. I am no longer interested in winning souls.
  2. Those who look to me for spiritual guidance can get it from someone else.
  3. The few who are grateful for my efforts don’t mean a thing.
  4. My critics are ready to move in, and I want to show them I’m not too old and feeble to move out.
  5. I’m not interested in church anymore. I hate crowds.
  6. The will of the Lord is no longer first with me.
Cordially,
A. Backslider


What to do:
✞ Remember, backsliding begins when knee-bending ends.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email