Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Daily Devotion: Philosophy

Bible Reading: Ecclesiastes 1:12-18

Key Verse: Verse 14 – “I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit."

Key Words: all is vanity and vexation of spirit

Philosophy is a zeal for wisdom in the field of arts and science. Many try to intermingle divine wisdom with human wisdom. This leads to nothing but vanity (emptiness).

You cannot take natural man – man who is a lost sinner alienated from God – and give him an education, expecting that education to solve the problems of his life. It will not do that. Philosophy and psychology cannot change human nature, nor can they correct the old nature of man.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. But I don’t like apples. They tell me apples are very nutritious. I just don’t like them – except when I go to the Fair. At the fair, I get candied apples. They take the apple and they dip it in liquid sugar. Then, me and apples, we are all right. The problem is that the way the apples have been prepared, the nutritional value has been destroyed. By mixing the apples with the sugar, things are now kind of messed up. The apples will hurt me now, not help me. When you mix human wisdom with divine wisdom, you cancel divine wisdom. All you have is human wisdom. That’s what the Bible calls being double-minded – being secular and sacred at the same time.

That’s what Solomon attempted to do and that’s why he felt that increased knowledge also increased one’s sorrow (verse 18).


What to do:
✞ Let human wisdom go but hang on to the divine wisdom.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email