Saturday, May 20, 2023

Daily Devotion: Mary of Bethany – The Woman Jesus Defended

Bible Reading: Luke 9:23-36 

Key Verse: Verse 3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.


Key Words: Then took Mary a pound of ointment

The family of Mary is a very interesting family.  They were personal friends of Jesus.  Jesus described Lazarus as a friend in John 12:11; Martha loved to serve the Lord; but Mary loved to sit and learn at Jesus’ feet.  We are told in Luke 10:39 that Mary sat at the feet of Jesus and heard His Word.


It was Mary of Bethany who took ointment and cleaned the feet of Jesus.  As a result of this, Judas rebuked her for wasting expensive ointment.  As a result of this rebuke, Jesus came to her defense: “Let her alone” (John 12:7).  What a stern rebuke!


Isn’t it great to know that when our enemies are snipping at our heels, Jesus defends those who are living in righteousness?


I remember, as a young lad, riding to the corner grocery store with my two friends, Ricky and Alan.  On the way home, we rode by a new house where people were moving in.  Curiosity got the best of us and we rode as close as we could to the house – too close.  They had the biggest dog I’ve ever seen.  This dog didn’t like the fact that we had invaded his territory, so the chase was on.  We began to peddle as fast as we could, but the big mutt was gaining fast.  We finally had to put our feet on the handle bars and hope that we could coast to my house, which we did.  As God would have it, my dad was on the front porch.  He looked at that dog and shouted, “Get out of here and leave them alone.”  The old mutt turned and ran as fast as he could in the opposite direction.


Every time I have an enemy or foe after me, I remember that day and the story, and I hear in my heart the Lord crying out to those who intend to harm me, “Let him alone!”  To God be the glory!



What to do:
✞ Do right and let the Lord be your Defender.


Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email