Friday, May 19, 2023

Daily Devotion: Martha – A Servant’s Heart

Bible Reading:  Luke 10:38-42 & John 12:1-2 

Key Verse: Verse John 12:2There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.

Key Words: There they made a supper; and Martha served

There are many things that could be said about Martha, but the one characteristic that stands out is her servant’s heart.  There is little doubt that she had the gift of ministry (Romans 12:7).  There is also no doubt that she was hospitable and opened her home to all.


John Kenneth Galbraith, in his autobiography, A Life in Our Times, illustrates the devotion of Emily Gloria Wilson, his family’s housekeeper:  It had been a wearying day, and I asked Emily to hold all telephone calls while I had a nap.  Shortly thereafter the phone rang.  Lyndon Johnson was calling from the White House.  “Get me Ken Galbraith.  This is Lyndon Johnson.”  “He is sleeping, Mr. President.  He said not to disturb him.”  “Well, wake him up.  I want to talk to him.”  “No, Mr. President.  I work for him, not you.”  When I called the President back, he could scarcely control his pleasure.  “Tell that woman I want her here in the White House.”


I believe Martha had this same loyalty to Jesus!  My prayer is that our loyalty in service would not be to men but to God.




What to do:
✞ Serve God by being a servant to others.


Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email