Sunday, January 23, 2022

Daily Devotion: What God Hates: Evil Thoughts Against Your Neighbor

Bible Reading: Zechariah 8:17; Proverbs 3:27-35

Key Verse: Verse 29 – “Devise not evil against thy neighbour, seeing he dwelleth securely by thee.”

Key Words: Devise not evil against thy neighbour

Do you know your neighbors? I mean really know them? Neighbors can be our best friends or our worst enemies. But I have found that most of us really don’t know our neighbors.

Some years ago, I had a couple visit my office. They needed some advice on how to handle a neighbor who was, to say the least, ornery. This neighbor would egg their house, put trash in their yard, and when they were not at home, he would take his dogs and turn them loose on their garden. So their question to me was: what should we do…how do we handle it? I don’t particularly care to spend time giving advice that people never intend to heed, so I simply asked: Will you promise to do what I tell you? They agreed that they would. So here is the advice I gave: Kill him. The man’s mouth dropped, but I did get a laugh when the wife leaned forward and asked, “Is there a weapon of choice?” I said, “Yes. Kill him with kindness. Go pick up the trash in his yard. Bake a cake, pie or cookies. Take some vegetables from the garden and give them to him. Kill him with kindness.” Which they did!!

You see, we can’t control what our neighbors do, but we can control our response to what they do. So why should I do that which God hates and imagine evil against them? Let me do what God loves, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Now, don’t you think that’s a better plan? I do.



What to do:
✞ Don’t get mad or even. “Kill” your neighbor with kindness.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email